Saturday 10 March 2012

I Sat Upon A Rock

I sat upon a rock and came up with a new beginning for my story. It all started the night before. I was walking back to our tent late at night. It was the 26th of February 2012. The wind was howling through the she oaks, the shadows were everywhere when suddenly the world seemed to stop and sounds seemed to switch off.

Words, hundreds of words came streaming into my mind and I could see them writing themselves into a new beginning of my story. Then they switched off, the wind was back, the lights of the campsite were on and I thought, 'Strewth! What was that all about!"

I rushed back to our tent and scrabbled around for a torch, paper and pen but was only able to write down half a dozen words. I knew there were more, lots more but I couldn't remember them. I went to bed. Yes surely if I settled I would remember but no that didn't work. I got up and sat out side but again no the words wouldn't come.
In the morning I went and sat on rock.


Three house later I had a new beginning of my story. The only thing I can put all of this down to was that somewhere niggling away in my sub-conscious was the idea that my story should not start with words.
I don't mean words. I mean words, you now a conversation, someone saying something and so I figured my mind had finally decided that the beginning of my story needed, had to be, MUST be changed and da da there you are. A new beginning. Most extraordinary.

I suppose you might like to know why I was on Phillip Island (Victoria) in the first place. Garry, my partner, is a volunteer flag Marshall for the World Super Bikes and he goes to Phillip Island at least once or twice a year for different events. I didn't go with him last year but this year I needed to get away so that I could finish my story. This I have done! Yay! I'm on my last edit.

If you saw my scribbles over some of the paperwork you would understand why I have to re-read and re-read my work on the computer once I've put it on. I found that some of my so-called last edits still needed three or five goings over untill I was happy with them.

I am extremely pleased to say that I have completely, definitely finished nine chapters out of twenty seven. I am also extremely pleased with my story. I believe that at this time in my life it is the best story I could come up with. Maybe if I keep writting I will be better but I like it and really that is all that matters. I have treated my story the way I treat my models. I write my stories for myself just as I build my models for myself.

I intend to have it finished, with its synopsis by the end of March 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment