Sunday 21 June 2015

Stage 12 - Shadow House - Window Panes

I apologise for taking so long to post more information about the Shadow House. Life gets in the way but finally I have been able to spend some time making windows. I have decided to have a go at making them out of sequins. 

This is the finished window. I have added a brown stain over the 'glass'. I have added 'moss' and placed a double layer of rope around the edge.

First I laid plastic cling film on a solid
base then spread a circle of glue.  I then
stuck sequins on top. Most are transparent.

I allowed the sequins to dry overnight
 because I found that if I tried to spread
glue on them before they were glued
together, they came apart and it was
almost impossible to glue them
 back together. When dry I then spread
 glue over the top of them and covered
them with very fine white microbeads.








I have just placed (not glued) the 'window
pane' into position. Because I am doing a
dark Shadow House I felt that the
 'window pane' was too white and not
suited to this house. It is suited to other types
of houses and I will certainly use them again.


The left image is the final look when the microbeads have dried. I then very carefully pulled the plastic cling film off the back. I then turned them over. On the back of the 'window pane' I found the glue still tacky but needing just a bit extra glue. I then covered the back with the microbeads and allowed to dry overnight.
The RIGHT image is what the 'window pane' looks like with light behind it. Notice the one tiny solid sequin that sneaked in.













I have just placed (not glued) the 'window
pane' into position. Because I am doing a
dark Shadow House I felt that the
 'window pane' was too white and not
suited to this house. It is suited to other types
of houses and I will certainly use them again.










To solve the problem of them being too
 white I have used alcohol ink to colour
 the microbeads. I have used Isocol
rubbing alcohol as the base and Daler
 Rowney Sky Blue Pearlescent Liquid
Acrylic. I am pleased with the colour.
The black card is the template of the hole for the
 'window pane'. I have three different size windows to make.

Just to show you the window, the
template and 'window pane'.

This is what the lights look like in place.
 Please note that this image on it side. I will
change it when I can. You will notice that
 the wires are sealed with clear heat shrink
plastic tubing. This is so I know if I have
 added a resistor or not.
I thought you might like to know how
I have suspended the lights (white
Christmas lights). I always (in
closed rooms) put lights in by attaching
 them to a bar of balsa wood. I used wire
 but you can use string. I then glue the
balsa wood in place, just under the windows.

I like the look of them but they need work because they look like big eyes.





A lace 'stainglass' effect using rubber bands
Glued the rubber band lace in place and then will trim it up.










This is how the stain-glass looks like all cleaned up and the right hand image shows how some purple alcohol ink has been put on the left and right and painted onto the rubber bands as the windows still look to new.


This is the finished window. I have added a brown stain over the 'glass'. I have added 'moss' and placed a double layer of rope around the edge.







2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Hello Charlie, I am glad you like them. i am very pleased with the way the windows have turned out. I am now onto the fence and the water tank. I will do a post when I have photos. See you.

      Delete